It is no secret that Americans care about how their teeth look. More than half of American adults say that they floss every day. The popularity of tooth whitening procedures has exploded in recent years. In the past five years, the number of people who go to get these procedures has increased by 300%. Finding a good, local dentist may seem like a daunting challenge but it does not have to be. Here are some tips to make that process easier.
- Start by talking to the people you know. Ask your friends, relatives, colleagues and neighbors who they go to for dentistry services. You know at least one person who has a local dentist that they like and can recommend. The best way to find good services and products is to get a personal recommendation. You may find that the person your coworker recommends is not the best dentist for you but asking around can get you a starting point and help you put together a list of local dentists to talk to.
- Ask your primary care doctor. If you have a primary care physician, and everyone should, you should talk to them about their recommendations for a local dentist. Your primary care doctor should be viewed as a resource and they can help you find different medical specialists and even tell you what they think of local dentists and specialists in oral surgery. Your dental health is very much connected to your overall health so you should also let them know if you need any major dental procedures.
- Talk to your insurance carrier. Many dental insurance policies limit the local dentists you can go to. They have certain dental providers who are in their network and you should try to go to one of them as their services will be covered by your dental plan. You may be able to see other local dentists but you will have to pay up front and be reimbursed. It is also a good idea to talk to your insurance carrier to get to know the details of your plan.
- Look online. Do a search online for local dentists. You can check sites like Angie’s List, Yelp, Health Grades and even Facebook. Many cities and other localities have Facebook groups and pages devoted to promoting local businesses. If yours does not have a post about local dentists, ask the question. People like giving advice and recommending services so you will not wont for responses to any posts you put up. Be wary about any reviews that are bad and posted anonymously. It is much more easy for people to complain than compliment so these reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.
- Check out a few dentists. Once you have a list of local dentists who you think might be good for you and your family and do some research into their work. There may be reviews online. You can look at their website and see what services they offer. Take some some and see if they have testimonials on their website and make it a point to check them. If you can, talk to their office and see how they handle people who are afraid of the dentist, if that is a concern. If you have children, ask about the pediatric services and experience they have. Finding a good local dentist is an important part in keeping all of your family’s healthy smiles looking their best so you will find the time spent looking is time well spent.
- Ask the office about financing options. Not all procedures are fully covered by insurance but many dental offices do have programs in place to help people finance their dental care. If you are concerned with how you will pay for your dental care, take some time to call the office and ask about what your options are. Most dental offices will work with patients to make it possible for them to receive the care they need.
Finding the right local dentist is very important, not just for the way your smile looks, but to keep you healthy. Spending some time on this will be worth it in the end.