Americans care a lot about how their teeth look. Nearly 100% of American adults (99.7%) say they think a good looking smile is important to a person’s social life, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). Nearly three-quarters worry that problems with their smile could hurt their degree. Over the past five years, the number of tooth whitening procedures have increased by 300%. It is not hard to see why so many cosmetic dentists have opened new practices across the country.
People who are looking for a cosmetic dentist may not know where to turn. The American Dental Association (ADA) does not consider cosmetic dentistry to be a formal specialty in its own right and many general or family dentists call themselves cosmetic dentists. It is hard to know if the person you are going to has experience with the procedures you would like to have done. The challenge becomes finding a cosmetic dentist that you know can do what you need to be done.
Tips tor Finding the Right Cosmetic Dentist for Your Needs:
- Talk to your friends and family. Given the number of people who seek out treatment from cosmetic dentists, the chances are very good that you know at least a few people who have been treated by a cosmetic dentist. The best way to get good quality products or services is to get a personal referral. If you ask all of the people you know who they would recommend and two or more come back with the same recommendation, that is always even better. Ask about how they found the cosmetic dentist and what it was like to go to them. You may not go to the same dental office but this will give you a starting off point.
- Find cosmetic dentists who have had the right training. All cosmetic dentists get specialized training. There are special courses they can take in dental veneers and other cosmetic procedures like tooth whitening and the use of Invisalign. If you have questions about a dentist’s training, you should feel comfortable enough to ask. They will not mind and you will have more peace of mind knowing they have the right training. if you do not feel comfortable asking questions of the dentist or their staff, you should go to another office.
- Ask about their technology. Cosmetic and general dentistry has changed a lot over the years, There have been a lot of advancements in everything from the kind of x-ray machines that are used to the kind of cameras and monitors by the chairs. They have new dental lasers to help with some of the procedures that they perform. When you are talking to different cosmetic dentists, talk to them about the technology they use.
- Ask about your options for anesthesia. Many people are scared of going to the dentist. All people who go into dentistry know this. They have a lot of experience dealing with people who have either had a bad experience at the dentist’s office or who are scared for no reason at all. If this is the case for you, or even if it is not, you should ask about what kinds of anesthesia options the cosmetic dentist’s office can offer you. They can often prescribe anti-anxiety medication to take before and sedation during the procedures.
- Ask about financing options. For the most part, cosmetic dentistry procedures are not covered by insurance but that does not mean you will not be able to have the procedure you want done. Many cosmetic dentists offer financing plans to people who may not be able to afford the procedures they want to have. Remember, they cannot say yes if you do not ask so ask about your options.
- Talk to your dental insurance carrier. As was noted, many procedures offered by cosmetic dentists are not covered by insurance but it is worth calling the company and asking. Part of what you need done may be covered. They may know of dental offices that offer financing.
You can get your smile into really great shape with the help of a good cosmetic dentist. You can find them with a little work and effort.