Most Americans think the way their teeth look is important to their job prospects and their dating and social life but many still do not go to the dentist. That means that nearly 19% of people who are between the ages of five through 19 have dental caries that have not been treated. In fact, when you look at kids between the ages of two through 17, nearly 85% of them have never even seen a dental office. For adults between the ages of 20 and 44, almost 32% have cavities that have not been treated. If you are concerned about your teeth and are wondering “how can I find a dentist near me?”, these tips can help.
- Talk to your friends and family. The single best way to get a good product or service is to get a personal recommendation from someone you know and trust. You should ask all of the people in your life whom you like and trust. In the best case scenario, you will get the recommendations from more than one person when you ask them, “Do you know of a dentist near me who is good?” If more than one person says, independently of each other, “Yes, Dr. X is fantastic,” that is a very good sign.
- Talk to your primary care doctor. Your primary care doctor is interested in your overall health. Many people do not think to ask their primary care doctor about this but there is a good chance that the staff or your medical provider will know of people and clinics that offer great dental services in your area. There is a chance that they may not have an idea of who you can go to for your dental needs but it is absolutely worth asking.
- Call your insurance carrier. You will have to check with your insurance carrier to make sure the dentist you select is covered by your plan. Many dental plans require people see dentists and hygienists who are considered “in network.” If you go to a dentist who is not in their network, you can expect to pay a lot more. When you call your insurance carrier, you can ask them to help you do a search for “a dentist near me.” They may be able to offer you more than just names.
- Look online. You can find just about anything and everything under the sun. If you do a search for a”dentist near me” the search engine can weed out the dental providers who are further away. There are also sites that offer ratings for dental providers and doctors. You can see what patients say about their experiences with the different dentists. You can also check on how easy or hard it will be for you to get to the office from your home or work. Another thing you can do is find the kind of dentist you want. Maybe you are looking for an expert in cosmetic dentistry or a practice that caters to families.
- Call around and talk to the different offices. You can schedule appointments with several different offices where you can decide if their philosophy melds with your own. Moreover, you can get a sense of how the dental office works and how comfortable you feel there. While you are basically interviewing the different dental providers in your area, make sure you discuss what your concerns are. The people who work in dental offices understand that many people are nervous when they go into the dental practice. They may have ideas to help calm your nerves or show you how great they are with children if that is your concern.
For adults who are scared of going to the dentist, asking “how can I find a good dentist near me?” is a rather loaded question. Most people understand that dentists and dental hygienists recommend people go in for routine check-ups and cleanings every six months but most do not do this. The irony is that the more often you see your dentist and hygienist, the less painful those visits will be. When you rarely go, little problems can grow to larger ones that take more time and energy to fix.