It is no secret that most Americans care about the look of their smile. Over the past five years, the number of people who have opted to have their teeth professionally whitened has gone up by about 300%. Nearly 99% of people in the United States say that having a good looking smile is important. While there are a lot of ways people can take care of their teeth, a growing number of adults are looking to biocompatible dentistry techniques to keep their teeth looking and feeling great.
What does that mean?
There are a lot of traditional dental treatments and procedures that use products and materials that contain dangerous substances such as mercury. When the family dentist finds a cavity and needs to fill it, they often use amalgam fillings. These are made of at least 50% mercury. Mercury has been found to be one of the most toxic materials around. While most people do want to save their teeth, no one likes the idea of having a tooth pulled or needing a root canal procedure, there are ways to do that without introducing toxic substances to the body.
Dentists can opt for biocompatible dentistry methods to keep teeth healthy while considering the overall health of the person. Dental offices that employ these biocompatible dentistry techniques use materials and processes that are more healthy for the individual.
When it comes to good dental health, an once of prevention is really worth a pound of cure. Experts in biocompatible dentistry recommend the following tips to help people keep their teeth looking great:
- Brush your teeth twice each day. When you are brushing your teeth, you should angle your brush at a 45 degree angle. When you buy your tooth brush, you should opt for a model with soft bristles. You do not have to be rough with your teeth. The softer bristles and gentle motion will keep any swelling down.
- Be careful with your toothpaste. Avoid toothpastes that have sodium lauryl sulfate or fluoride in them. There are natural toothpastes that are effective and more healthy. Look for those. If you cannot find them at the supermarket or drug store, you can get them at a health food store.
- Get more alkaline foods in your diet. You can maintain the right pH level in your body by eating more alkaline foods. Examples include fruits, green vegetables and beans. These are healthy for a number of reasons and keeping your body at the right pH level is just one of them. Eat more!
- Get enough exercise and sleep. This may not seem like it is something that will promote dental health and have an impact on healthy smiles but it does. Your overall health and the health of your teeth is directly linked. When you work out on a regular basis and get the right amount of sleep, you will keep levels of inflammation down and keep everything in your body healthy. This will have a positive impact on your oral health.
- Use sea salt water to rinse your mouth. Skip the harsh mouthwashes that are on the market today. Take some warm water, add some sea salt and a little mint and use that to rise your mouth. It is an effective way to promote dental health without the pain of the harsh mouthwashes.
- Go in for dental check ups every six months. This is something that many people balk at but is critical for maintaining dental health. When you go to your biocompatible dentistry experts twice a year, they can often find and fix small problems more easily. Having your teeth professionally cleaned on this schedule is one of the best things you can do to prevent needing painful oral surgery.
- Use an oral irrigator. Get a waterpik or other oral irrigator and use that rather than dental floss to get your teeth as clean as possible. You need to do something beyond brushing and these devices can work wonders to keep your gums and teeth healthy and happy. This can help you avoid the chemicals in traditional dental floss.
Biocompatible dentistry techniques have been around for a very long time and can go a long way to keeping you and your teeth healthy.